Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I'm a dork

I'm no diehard political junkie, but I've always enjoyed checking out the party conventions every four years. I don't have the patience or interest for watching every minute or listening to every speech, but I'm really glad that today I got to see my favorite part of any convention: the roll call of state votes. Yes, I know it's weird that I'm into that, but I've loved it all my life. It's so damn silly and hilarious that it just fills me with glee. Giddy delegates who just came from the bar across the street, having a big party on the convention floor, delivering self-conscious soliloquies like, "Madame Secretary, the great state of Podunkia, home of the world's largest hairball, birthplace of Paul Lynde, realm of the richest deposits of sandy loam in the Western Hemisphere, where the sky hits the horizon and the horizon likes it, home of the only state capitol built entirely underground, creators of the swivel chair, the long-handled duster, and the creamiest of creamy nougats, proudly casts its votes...." God, I love that crap. I want to be a delegate someday just so I can do that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Not the same thing. I grant you before I even say it....but you remind me of my childhood obsession with watching the Jerry Lewis telethon, and having to write down every Valley call number that scrolled along the bottom of the screen. "Coalinga" "Merced" "Los Banos" "Dos Palos" "Visalia" "Porterville".... Naturally, I don't recall the numbers. But hey...the telethon is due to start up in 5, 4, 3, 2....

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on... it's also to check out the "party babes".

a fellow convention dork.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home